- Adele 25
- Beyoncé Lemonade
- Justin Bieber Purpose
- Drake Views
- Sturgill Simpson A Sailor’s Guide to Earth.
To do this I looked at some of the more significant music review sites that have written reviews of all or most of the five nominees: Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, Spin, All Music Guide, and Billboard. I also looked at some of the Top 50 Album lists for 2016 to see where these Grammy nominated albums ranked. And finally the court of public opinion.
- Adele’s 21 and Stevie Wonder’s Songs in the Key of Life both won Album of the Year,
- Micheal Jackson’s Bad was nominated but lost to U2’s Joshua Tree,
- The Eagle’s Hotel California was nominated for Album of the Year, but took home Record of the Year for that track,
- Garth Brook’s Ropin’ the Wind was not nominated for Album of the Year but won for Best Male Country Vocal Performance.
In summary, four of the six won a Grammy of some sort and two won for Album of the Year. Even with no Billboard review, the ranking in the top 200 has to give Views some serious consideration.